Channa pulao is a flavorful and a very simple dish, as channa (chickpeas) is rich in protein and fiber, this pulao is a wholesome meal.
- Chickpeas, boiled – 3 cups
- Cooked rice – 3 cups
- Ghee – 4 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, chopped – 4-8
- Green chillies – chopped 3
- Ginger, chopped – 1 inch
- Onion, chopped – 2 medium
- Tomatoes – 3 medium
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – To taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh mint leaves, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Heat three tablespoons ghee in a non-stick pan and add cumin seeds. When their colour changes, add garlic and sauté till it turns golden
- Add green chillies and ginger and sauté on medium heat for 1 minute. Add onions and sauté till translucent. Add tomatoes and cook till soft and mushy.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and cook on medium heat for 1 minute
- Add chickpeas, salt and 2 cups cooking liquor and mix well. Add coriander leaves and mint leaves and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Add rice, remaining ghee and lemon juice and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Transfer into a serving platter and serve hot.