Chana dal laal saag, a really nourishing dish this made with split Bengal gram and red amaranth leaves.
- Bengal gram (chana) soaked and boiled – ¾ cup
- Red amaranth leaves (lalmaath), roughly chopped – 1 medium
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – A pinch
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic, finely chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Onions, finely chopped – 2 medium
- Tomato, finely chopped – 1 medium
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Dried mango powder – 1 teaspoon
- Green chili, finely chopped – 2-3
- Salt – To taste
- Fresh coriander sprigs – For garnishing
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan, add dried chillies, cumin seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute. Add onions and sauté till lightly browned. Add tomato and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, dried mango powder and green chillies and mix well. Add salt and mix well.
- Add red amaranth leaves and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add Bengal gram and mix well. Cook till amaranth is done.
- Transfer the saag into a serving bowl, garnish with coriander sprig and serve immediately.