Not just pickle, amla can taste just as good as a side dish
- Amlas boiled in turmeric water – 1/2 kilo
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Carom seeds (ajwain) – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chillies, broken – 3 no
- Shallots – 20-25 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Roughly chopped jaggery – 1 cup
- Tamarind paste – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Remove the seeds and separate the amlas into segments.
- Roughly chop ginger into slices and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick kadai. Add asafetida, carom seeds, fennel seeds, ginger and sauté for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add green chillies, shallots, amla, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, jaggery, and tamarind paste, salt and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes till the jaggery dissolves and the shallots are cooked.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.