This is a traditional recipe from Punjab, potato and dried pomegranate seeds stuffed bread
- Maida – (refined flour) 2 cups
- Table salt – ¾ teaspoon
- Soda bicarbonate – ¼ teaspoon
- Plain yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Milk – 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
- Anardana (pomegranate seeds) – 1 teaspoon
- Potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated – 2 medium
- Onion, finely chopped – ½ medium
- Bunch of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped – ⅓ cup
- Fresh mint leaves, finely chopped – 8-10 no
- Green chiles, finely chopped – 2 no
- Red chile powder – ½ tablespoon
- Cumin powder – ½ tablespoon
- Kalonji (onion seeds) – ¾ teaspoon
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Sieve refined flour with ½ teaspoon salt and soda bicarbonate in a deep bowl. Gradually add in yogurt and milk and mix well.
- Add ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons (97 ml) water to make soft and smooth dough. Cover with a wet cloth and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and knead the dough well. Cover it once again and keep aside for at least 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape them into smooth balls.
- Heat a non stick pan on medium heat. Add pomegranate seeds and dry roast them for 2 minutes. Cool and grind to a coarse powder in a blender.
- In a deep bowl mix potatoes, onion, coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chiles, pomegranate seeds powder, red chile powder, cumin powder and the remaining salt.
- Divide potato mixture into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Flatten a portion of dough, place a portion of potato mixture in the centre and fold the dough over to form a ball.
- Place the stuffed dough on a lightly floured surface and roll gently into a disc of 4-5 inch diameter. Brush lightly with remaining oil, sprinkle kalonji on the surface and press with your palm.
- Place a non stick tawa (griddle) on medium heat. Let it heat for 2 minutes, then place a kulcha on it and roast till the underside is cooked with light golden specks. Flip over and cook till the second side is cooked with light golden specks.
- Brush the hot kulchas with butter and serve immediately.